Thursday, November 8, 2012

Lahh Skeewl.

This is David writing on the far side of 2 whole months of law school.  And what a 2 months it has been.  OBJECTION, Your Honor!  Leading the witness!

I digress...

It was much fun, much fun to finally be able to start law school.  After all the hype, after all the admonitions, after all the repetitive lawyer jokes (Hint: no one likes lawyers), I was ready to get my booty on to bigger and better things.  I was ready to become an analytical machine, tackling the greatest legal problems that minds had to offer, bringing a sense of freedom, and justice to the galaxy!

And then I attended class.

Now don't get me wrong- I really enjoy my classes for the most part.  But holy moley, any delusions of grandeur go right out the door the first time the teacher calls on you.  I was first called on in Torts (not the sweet delicious pastries), and while I'd read about that curious sensation of having all the blood in your body rush to your face, I'd never before experienced it.  http://tinyurl.com/asdvn6u.  Luckily it was totally fine, I knew the answer all right, and it was over before it started.  I was called on a few times in other classes (and am still called "Mr. Beety" by one of my teachers) but the first time was the roughest.

Law school is interesting.  There are a lot of different views that are out there about what it actually is.  Probably one of the more prevalent ones was aptly stated by a 3L the other day: "You don't come to law school to get an education, you come to get a job".  Which really is true.  Aside from actual classes, everything is geared towards getting employment.  And to be honest, I really don't like that.  The way it generally works out is your 1st summer you extern at one or two places.  Then in the fall of your second year, several firms come and interview you, and many times you get your job based off of this.  I think that any hiring practice that recruits someone when they're only 1/3 of the way through their education is silly.  But that's just mean.  Many folks seem to think if it ain't broke, find the elements of the negligence claim and see if they really breached the duty.  If you know what I mean.

So I'm enjoying law school and Amanda is doing really well like usual in her ME classes.

And how about this big news eh?


No longer a trilogy, no longer a six-ology (?), but we get to see even more new movies come out!  As the resident Star Wars nerd, several people have asked me how I feel about bad boy Georgie selling those rights to Disney.  I have mixed views.  On one hand, ITS STAR WARS FOR GOODNESS SAKE.  Anything that has to do with Star Wars can't be wrong (in the spirit of full disclosure, the Star Wars Christmas special was terrible.  If you haven't seen it- please don't).  I would love to have some more movies, see some more planets, and watch some more dudes do backflips over each other while swinging lightsabers.


(On the other hand)

They could very well butcher this.  They could make these movies into box office failures.  I feel that their acquisition of Pixar has brought out some sloppy movies.  DC and Marvel, I'm still on the fence.  But either way, I'll hope for the best- and you know I'll be at the midnight premiere in costume!

And so I end my somewhat senseless rant.  This was posted in response to positive peer pressure from an unnamed brother-in-law, but I'm glad I was able to do it.  With so little time to journal (and so little desire to), this helps serve as an outlet where I can get out some of whats going on in life.

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment